IT Services After Graduation
Graduation is just around the corner. Here’s what you need to know to make sure your important files and software come with you after you leave the University of Illinois.
All of your crucial services--email, software, Library access, computer lab access--are tied to your NetID and your status as a student.
To protect our network, we remove the student status from the NetIDs of all undergrads, graduate students, and professional students once they graduate or leave campus.
You can continue to use all of your services until your student status is removed. If you leave the University in May, your student status will be removed the following fall semester.
What You Keep
Graduating seniors, graduate students, and professional students can continue to use these services:
- Illinois.edu email address (emails will forward to an outside address)
- People can still reach you at your NetID@illinois.edu address by setting up email forwarding to an outside address.
- Learn how to set up email forwarding (Undergraduate students only)
- Technology Services computer labs access
- Campus WiFi (IllinoisNet, IllinoisNet_Devices)
- Library access
- You can continue to access online journals and databases from public computers in on-campus libraries. Get a courtesy borrowing card to access the Main Library stacks and borrow materials. Learn more about your alumni Library privileges.
- Perpetual license software already downloaded and installed from the WebStore
- Be sure to make a hard copy and write down your access keys/codes as you’ll no longer have access to your order history to obtain these in the future. Log in to webstore.illinois.edu for this information.
You'll need to keep your password updated to access these services. Update your password and set recovery options here: go.illinois.edu/password.
What You Leave Behind
Take a few steps now to prepare for leaving campus. Save important information in a place that does not require you to sign in with your NetID.
Once your student status is removed, you won’t be able to use these services:
- Online courses (Illinois Compass 2g, Moodle/learn.illinois.edu)
- Some computer labs
- New deals from the WebStore
- U of I Box
- Office 365 and OneDrive
- Google Apps at Illinois
If you are continuing work with a department after graduation, they may continue to provide you services via your NetID. Check with your department if you will need to access any of their services after graduation.
Contact the Technology Services Help Desk at email@example.com or 217.244.7000 with questions or concerns.