Office of the CIO
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Technology Services at Illinois is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, communications technology, and instructional technology services supporting academic and research activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Our mission is to provide a strong, agile, and customer needs-oriented organization by providing cost-effective, value-added IT services and solutions.
Technology Services is growing expertise in data science to provide innovative solutions to data analytics questions. The newly created Data Analyst position, which will be part of Research IT, will work with researchers, faculty and staff and will conduct computational data analysis utilizing campus data and will administer social media analytics tools.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Select, optimize and integrate data science tools and frameworks required to provide data analytics solutions for researchers.
- Apply analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills to fulfill requests for information.
- Apply technologies to solve data problems and to develop innovative data solutions.
- Implement complex data projects with a focus on collecting, parsing, managing, analyzing and visualizing data to turn information into insights using multiple platforms.
- Create and manipulate analytics reports using a variety of reporting sources.
- Collaborate effectively with other teams and researchers to solve complex problems spanning their respective areas.
- Develop, refine and scale data management and analytics procedures, systems, workflows, and best practices.
- Develop analysis techniques for unstructured data.
- Develop prototypes and proof of concepts for the possible solutions.
- Code, test, and document new or modified data systems to create robust and scalable applications.
- Contribute to efforts in creating, refining, managing and enforcing data management policies, procedures, conventions and standards.
- Diagnose problems using formal problem-solving tools and techniques from multiple angles and probe underlying issues to generate multiple potential solutions. Proactively anticipate and prevent problems.
- Collaborate with other members of formal and informal groups in the pursuit of common missions, vision, values and mutual goals.
- Provide general and in-depth support/guidance for a variety of data analytics users.
- Engage the data science community to improve the capability and performance of social media analytics.
- Keep abreast of developments in the data analytics and social media analytics fields, writing technical reports, conference and journal papers as appropriate, review scientific papers and proposals as appropriate.
- Participate in writing joint proposals with social media analytics staff and/or application teams.
- Understand the overall processes and procedures of the organization and make recommendations in the continual improvement of those processes and procedures, providing for management analysis and recommendations on continuous improvement.
- Ensure excellent customer service throughout the data analytics unit.
- Partner with the Technology Services Help Desk by setting and managing the expectations of customers
- Act as an advocate for campus clients in service planning and deployment across the organization; and resolve customer satisfaction issues.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and experience working in data science OR Bachelor’s degree from a data science field such as Computer Science, Information Sciences, Informatics.
- Master’s degree from a data science field such as Computer Science, Information Sciences, Informatics.
- 1-2 years of experience analyzing data, with a specific focus on drawing large scale conclusions through unstructured and structured data analysis.
- 3+ years working in a technology or research related field.
- Experience working with AWS and/or other cloud compute resources/environments.
- Experience with Splunk or other data analytics/operation intelligence software
- Experience with social media analytics data aggregation services such as Crimson Hexagon, Brandwatch, Synthesio, radian6.
- Strong knowledge of at least one scripting language that can be used against public data APIs such as Java, Python.
- Basic statistical foundation such as assumptions of bias, t-tests, correlation, regression.
- Ability to work with both structured and unstructured data.
Preferred Knowledge Requirements
- Understanding of machine learning and its applications.
- Training portfolio, coursework portfolio, and/or project portfolio that shows an understanding of API scripting and/or machine learning data analysis.
- Data science certifications.
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days, 12 sick days, health, dental, vision, SURS retirement). For other University provided benefits, please go to: https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. The start date will be as soon as possible after the close date.
For full consideration, applications should be received by November 10, 2017. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload in one file a letter of application and resume. The online application will require names and contact information for three professional references. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information about this position, please contact Rhonda Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-4222.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu