IT Infrastructure Specialist, Server and Application Administration or
Senior IT Infrastructure Specialist, Server and Application Administration
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Technology Services at Illinois is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, communications technology, and instructional technology services supporting academic and research activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Our mission is to provide a strong, agile, and customer needs-oriented organization by providing cost-effective, value-added IT services and solutions.
Technology Services has an opening for a IT infrastructure Specialist or Senior IT Infrastructure specialist in the Windows Server Administration & Applications Team (WSAA). This team works to provide infrastructure solutions for diverse distributed academic and administrative units on campus. WSAA team members are expected to understand the needs of these diverse units and provide common infrastructure solutions, and ongoing support across the multiple units. Primary responsibilities include the management of servers and server applications, on premise or in the cloud, and support of client access and authorization to local and non-local systems and services. Support in all of these areas includes advice on the procurement and deployment of these various technologies based on knowledge of individual and unit needs as well as best practices regarding the management of IT.
Primary Position Function:
Responsible for support of unit or campus level computing infrastructure to include management of server and server-application infrastructure, on-premise or through cloud providers, support of client access and authorization to local and non-local systems and services. Support in all of these areas includes advice on the procurement and deployment of these various technologies based on knowledge of individual and unit needs as well as best practices regarding the management of IT. Interact frequently with unit leadership, IT colleagues across the campus and with IT colleagues at peer institutions.
Additional Primary Position Function for Senior Level:
Function as a subject matter expert in at least one area of campus IT infrastructure need (such as AWS, Windows Server OS, Linux Server OS) which includes proactively changing services to accommodate changes in vendor and Higher Ed direction.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* Support unit IT infrastructure needs.
* Provide ongoing operating system and application security on Windows, Mac, or Linux servers.
* Provide guidance to units in evaluating the technological needs for the unit’s learning, research and teaching environment and in developing plans to meet those needs.
* Participate in the Windows Server and Application Administration team and other cross functional teams.
* Interact regularly, both formally and informally, with unit faculty, staff and leadership to learn about their current and future activities, needs, and resource availability.
* Guide in the identification, evaluation, procurement, and implementation of technology systems and services for customers.
* Facilitate use of centralized, shared, and third-party services to meet unit needs most efficiently and cost-effectively.
* Identify opportunities for units to reduce duplication and overlap in the services and technologies provided by and/or support by the units.
* Proactively identify gaps in available IT services and resources, and provide guidance in the development of plans to help fill these gaps.
* Perform work responsibilities with limited supervision.
* Work with units to maximize their return on IT investment.
* Act as an advocate for units in conversations with on and off-campus service providers.
* Work in partnership with IT Service Delivery colleagues to provide infrastructure support and technical expertise to colleagues and their ITSD customers.
* Write documentation and knowledge base articles as required.
* Investigate and resolve customer satisfaction issues.
* Understand organizational processes and make recommendations for continual improvement of those processes in order to make Technology Services more effective, efficient, and agile in support customer needs.
* Work collaboratively with IT professionals across campus to meet local unit needs and enhance the overall IT environment on campus.
Additional Major Duties and Responsibilities for Senior Level:
* Analyze functional and performance issues associated with unit’s use of support IT infrastructure and function as a subject matter expert working in the Windows Server and Application Administration team.
* Apply technology with minimum of supervision and using considerable evaluation, originality and/or ingenuity.
* Act as a mentor to Junior level IT Infrastructure Specialists.
* Communicate IT services and strategies via presentations and documentation to supported users, college administrators, and IT peers.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree or higher.
* Customer service experience.
* Experience using, installing, and maintaining Microsoft Windows Server or Linux/UNIX operating system and server-based applications.
* Experience with Active Directory.
* Experience supporting a networked computing environment.
* Experience working in diverse workgroups.
* Experience collaborating in a high performance team environment.
* Experience working in complex organizational structures.
* Experience supporting servers in a virtual environment.
* Experience utilizing Amazon Web Services to provide IT solutions.
* Experience with conducting training for IT staff and supported customers.
* Familiarity with cloud service providers – either SaaS, IAAS, or PaaS models.
* Excellent problem solving skills.
* Strong listening and communication skills.
* Ability to explain technical services and solutions to non-IT audiences.
Preferred Knowledge Requirements
* Familiarity with existing IT services and solutions in support of research and/or teaching and learning.
Additional Position Requirements and Qualifications for Senior Level
* Five years of IT infrastructure support experience.
* Demonstrating experience participating in and leading projects.
* History of continuous professional development.
* Completion of an IT server related certification/training program (such as AWS, Microsoft, Linux)
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days, 12 sick days, health, dental, vision, SURS retirement). For other University provided benefits, please go to: https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu. Salary is competitive and
commensurate with qualifications and experience. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. The start date will be as soon as possible after the close date.
For full consideration, applications should be received by September 3, 2018. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload in one file a letter of application and resume. The online application will require names and contact information for three professional references. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. For further information about this position, please contact Rhonda Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-4222.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu