Manager, Cybersecurity Operations Center
Office of the CIO/Technology Services
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Technology Services at Illinois is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, communications technology, and instructional technology services supporting academic and research activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Our mission is to provide a strong, agile, and customer needs-oriented organization by providing cost-effective, value-added IT services and solutions.
Technology Services has a new job opening available for Manager, Cybersecurity Operations Center. The Cybersecurity Operations Center (CSOC) performs core, critical cybersecurity operations for Urbana-Champaign and Springfield, and is comprised of the following teams: cybersecurity incident response, vulnerability assessment, threat assessment, and intelligence. This position focuses on managing the CSOC team, operations, processes, duties, events, and goals. Tactical planning and execution; team development, outreach, development, tracking and reporting of performance metrics; and consulting are all duties regularly performed by the Manager, Cybersecurity Operations Center. Both the minimum requirements and desired qualifications will be considered in choosing the most qualified candidates. This position reports to the Assistant Director, Privacy and IT Security Infrastructure who reports to the Chief Security and Privacy Officer.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
* Manage daily operations of the CSOC, comprised of the following teams: cybersecurity incident response, vulnerability assessment, threat assessment, intelligence.
* Define, develop, implement, and continually improve cybersecurity operations playbook, emphasizing clarity and consistency of results.
* Analyze CSOC operations with focus on team performance, current goals, operational design, future plans, scalability, automation, tactical solutions, and improvement.
* Measure and track team performance against key performance indicators and targets.
* Manage critical security events requiring quick and elevated action or response.
* Manage assignments and workload of the team based on organizational priorities and goals.
* Maintain and provide regular and timely CSOC status reports to the Director.
* Develop and maintain accurate, timely, budgeting, costing, and personnel allocation information for the CSOC.
* Coordinate initiatives and operational activities with other CSOCs and security teams.
* Consult, communicate, and promote security best practices with Technology Services, campus colleges, departments, and units; and other strategic business partners.
* Establish efficient and effective processes and procedures and leverage them for use by the team and other groups in Technology Services as appropriate.
* Champion and represent the CSOC teams, within technology services and across the university such that awareness of its roles and functions are understood and leveraged to prevent harm, mitigate damage, and reduce risk.
* Understand the applicable processes and procedures of the organization and make recommendations in the continuous improvement of those processes and procedures, providing for management analysis and recommendations on improvements.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
* Bachelor’s Degree.
* Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Information Technology or a related field.
* Two or more years of experience managing technical IT teams directly with proven ability to coordinate staff efforts for deliverables with a high degree of complexity.
* Two or more years of developing communications for non-technical and leadership audiences.
* Experience participating in and contributing to diverse, cross-functional workgroups.
* Experience within higher education and/or research environments.
* Process design experience.
* Project management experience.
* Experience managing IT security operations, IT services, ITSM, service delivery, or software development.
* Strong organizational, prioritization, and time management skills.
* Excellent negotiation, group facilitation, and team building skills.
* Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
* Demonstrated ability in effective communication and collaborating in a high performance team environment.
* Basic knowledge of budget principles.
* Strong problem solving skills.
* Security incident response practices and principles.
* Training in management or leadership practices and principles.
* Have good standing with one or more of the following certifications: CISSP, CISM, GSLC, GSTRT, GCIO, GMON, GCDA, GCED
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days, 12 sick days, health, dental, vision, SURS retirement). For other University provided benefits, please go to: https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. The start date will be as soon as possible after the close date.
For full consideration, applications should be received by August 28, 2018. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload in one file a letter of application and resume. The online application will require names and contact information for three professional references. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. For further information about this position, please contact Rhonda Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-4222.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu