Technology plays a mission-critical role in helping the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign remain a preeminent public research university with a land-grant mission. The Office of the CIO helps facilitate the creative development and use of cutting edge technology resources to transform all dimensions of our academic enterprise, including research, teaching and learning, and public outreach. Simply put, technology in each of these areas helps to support and transform the University of Illinois.
What is IT Governance?
The purpose of IT governance is to ensure the alignment of IT to campus strategic goals. IT governance provides the following:
- oversight and process that guides decision-making
- creates transparency of the full life-cycle of IT investments
- advice and recommendations on technologies that support and enable campus research, teaching and learning, and public engagement efforts.
General Responsibilities of IT Governance
- Establishing the structure and processes that guide strategic decision-making and alignment of technologies to campus strategic goals and priorities
- Obtaining recommendations from campus stakeholders about technology initiatives and services
IT Governance Groups
IT Governance coordinates and facilitates the interconnected committees that evaluate and recommend IT direction in support of research, teaching and learning, and public engagement.
General Responsibilities of IT Governance Committees
In general, IT Governance committees perform the following functions:
- Advise on campus technology needs and priorities
- Provide recommendations about technology services
- Provide prioritization and funding recommendations
The IT Council provides advice and recommends about strategic directions, policies, priorities, and initiatives related to campus IT services and infrastructure.
Application Services Subcommittee of IT Council
The Application Services Subcommittee focuses on topics of application services, operational process improvement, and workflow management.
Cloud Advisory Subcommittee of IT Council
The Cloud Advisory Subcommittee (CAS) leverages a Campus Cloud Strategy to drive outcomes defined by the Cloud Center of Excellence (CCoE) and to evolve the Campus Cloud Strategy based upon campus needs. The CAS also establishes effective policies and standards that optimize cloud capabilities.
IT End User Services Subcommittee of IT Council
The IT End User Services Subcommittee focuses on topics of IT end user services, including direct IT user support, training, business process consulting, and specialized facilitation and integration.
IT Infrastructure Subcommittee of IT Council
The IT Infrastructure Subcommittee focuses on technology infrastructure such as the network, telecommunications, compute, storage, data center, and cloud capabilities.