Get Cool Stuff and Save Money as an Illinois Student
By Sara Abdeljalil, Economics '18
With temperatures in the 60s this weekend, it's time to be out and about. And that means spending money.
But with the fees and costs incurred while being a student, we're all running a little low. Thankfully, a lot of businesses and organizations on campus and around town want to cut you a deal, just for being a student.
Here’s a list of some of the best deals you get as a student at Illinois. Just show your i-card or sign up with your @illinois.edu email address.
6 months of free Amazon Prime
- All you have to do is sign up for Amazon Prime using your illinois.edu email address, and boom! 6 months free.
Free checking accounts at banks like Chase
- Most banks like Chase or PNC will allow you to have a free checking account as long as you’re a student. Just bring your student ID with you to the bank before you set one up!
Discounts at stores like Banana Republic, J Crew, Vineyard Vines, and Ann Taylor
- A lot of clothing stores will give you a student discount if you have your ID. Just make sure to ask before you check out.
- The University of Illinois offers free access to lynda.com, a site that offers video classes and tutorials on everything from public speaking to using PhotoShop. Go to go.illinois.edu/lynda and log in with your NetID and email password.
Discount magazine subscriptions
- Many magazines such as the Economist and Wall Street Journal will offer up to 69% off their subscriptions. Just use your illinois email address when signing up!
- Another free program the University of Illinois offers is Microsoft Office 365. You can download it for free from the WebStore here.
Greyhound student advantage 20%
- To be eligible, you just need to have your illinois.edu email address, and you can register through the site here.
This is only a small list of the perks you get as an Illinois student. Have other great deals in mind? Tweet @TechServicesIL and let us know what we’ve missed!