Security Recommendations for Zoom Meetings and Events
Learn more about the most recent Zoom changes that impact University of Illinois Zoom accounts.
When setting up a Zoom meeting or online event, we want to make sure you are taking the proper steps to secure your meetings.
Read below for tips and settings recommendations to help you when planning your next event using Zoom. The information is also available as a digital flyer.
For all Zoom events, Technology Services recommends you:
- Do NOT share your personal Meeting ID, passcode, or the direct link to join your meeting on the Illinois calendar, social media, or any other publicly viewable location.
- Set up registration in Zoom if you need to share your event publicly. You can manage who is able to attend your event, and each attendee will receive their own direct link to join.
- Turn on the waiting room OR enable the setting to allow only authenticated users
- Use Zoom directly within Illinois Compass or Moodle (learn.illinois.edu) if you are teaching within those learning management systems.
- Learn about in-meeting security tools to assist with handling disruptions during a meeting
- You can save any of your existing meetings as a template and copy over the same security settings for new meetings you schedule.
- If your event requires limited audience participation, you may want to consider purchasing a Zoom Webinar license from the WebStore. Webinars are best for events requiring a few people to present information to attendees with limited interactions.
Need assistance with your next meeting or event? See our Zoom event considerations and recommendations.
Or, click the links below for security setting recommendations based on who you are inviting