Stalkers and cyberbullies can use social media to track your movements. Current and future employers can use social media to see messages from you that may have been intended only for friends or family.
To protect yourself, we recommend following these steps before your post, snap, or tweet:
- Turn on privacy settings.
- Don’t give away your location.
- Don’t say how long you’ll be in a particular location.
- Don’t share any photos of yourself that you wouldn’t want your boss to see.
- Be comfortable with your message living on the internet forever. If you’re not comfortable, don’t publish it.
Learn more about social media privacy: http://techservices.illinois.edu/news/2016/social-media-privacy.