Technology Services provides campus-wide computing, networking, communication, and instructional technology services that support the academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Student employees work at our help desk and in computer labs. They also help faculty and students use technology in classrooms, and even provide on site support in offices and homes.
Please fill out separate applications if applying for multiple positions.
General Requirements and Skills
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in good standing at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Punctuality, responsibility and accountability
- Ability to work with sensitive information in a conscientious manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable strong customer service skills
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills
- Attend periodic basic and technical trainings and staff meetings
- Ability to speak to people of varying technical, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds in person, over the phone, and by email
- Capable of working a minimum of 10 hours per week
Student Employment Positions
Learn more about the different groups currently hiring students. Fill out the online application and select the group you are applying for. Please fill out separate applications if applying for multiple positions.
The Technology Services Help Desk consists of motivated and courteous individuals that support faculty, staff, and students with many of the technical services offered at the University of Illinois.
Our department holds a high standard in providing excellent customer service by phone, e-mail, and in-person
Our diverse staff works to communicate effectively with people of varying technical, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds
We provide support with the functions of UI accounts
We assist with the use of cybersecurity best practices
We provide support with classroom audio visual equipment and perform routine system and equipment checks
- Support faculty, staff and students at ICS computer lab facilities throughout campus
- Provide lab security and enforcement of ICS computer lab policies
- Maintain appearance and upkeep of the computer lab and equipment
- Basic troubleshooting of computer hardware, networking connectivity, classroom projectors, and video conferencing systems in the ICS lab environment
- Basic printer hardware troubleshooting
Managed IT Services
The MITS System Office and MITS South teams are currently looking for reliable, motivated students with the desire to learn about IT support. Duties will include hardware setup and deployment, clerical tasks, and additional opportunities to assist full time staff supporting System Office units.
- Complete desktop imaging and setup tasks
- Complete data removal to prepare IT equipment for surplus
- Assist with department IT inventory tasks
- Assist with hardware setup and deployment
- Experience with the above tasks is preferred, not required
- Support faculty, staff, students and retirees by appointment to troubleshoot and repair computer problems
- Hands-on support in home, office, or in our lab
- Home networking setup and configuration
- Disk and file restoration
- Virus removal
- Operating System and Software installation
- Opportunities to work in departmental units performing system and network administration