Technology Services provides campus-wide computing, networking, communication, and instructional technology services that support the academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Tech Services regularly employs students to help us support the campus. Student employees work at our help desk and in computer labs. They also help faculty and students use technology in classrooms, and even provide on site support in offices and homes.
**We are currently hiring students for Help Desk positions starting May 2021. See Help Desk section below**
Requirements and Skills
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in good standing at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Punctuality, responsibility and accountability
- Ability to work with sensitive information in a conscientious manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable strong customer service skills
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills
- Attend periodic basic and technical trainings and staff meetings
- Ability to speak to people of varying technical, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds in person, over the phone, and by email
- Capable of working a minimum of 10 hours per week
If you are a student and are interested in working at Technology Services, please fill out our online application. Please note that, if you want to apply to more than one group within Technology Services, you will need to fill out one application per group.
If you're not sure where in Tech Services you would like to work, here is more information about each student hiring group within Technology Services.
The Help Desk
**The Help Desk is currently looking for reliable, motivated and courteous individuals to help support faculty, staff and students with services offered by Technology Services. Duties will include providing technical support for customers over the phone, through email, or in person, creating problem report tickets, and competing data entry as required.
- Support faculty, staff and students with services offered by Technology Services
- Support provided over the phone, email, walk-in, and fieldwork
- Familiarity with UI passwords and their functions
- Familiarity with networking services, such as IllinoisNet wireless and VPN
- Familiarity with computer security best practices
- Familiarity with audiovisual equipment
- Working knowledge of UI email systems, UI Box and Illinois Compass
- Perform system checks of equipment in classrooms
- Support faculty, staff, students and retirees by appointment to troubleshoot and repair computer problems
- Hands-on support in home, office, or in our lab
- Home networking setup and configuration
- Disk and file restoration
- Virus removal
- Operating System and Software installation
- Opportunities to work in departmental units performing system and network administration
Instructional Computing Services (ICS) labs
- Support faculty, staff and students at ICS computer lab facilities throughout campus
- Provide lab security and enforcement of ICS computer lab policies
- Maintain appearance and upkeep of the computer lab and equipment
- Basic troubleshooting of computer hardware in the ICS lab environment
- Basic troubleshooting of networking connectivity in the ICS lab environment
- Basic troubleshooting of classroom projectors in the ICS lab environment
- Basic troubleshooting of video conferencing systems in the ICS lab environment
- Basic printer hardware troubleshooting