Julie Ann Campbell Behind the Screens: Harmonizing the Analytical and Artistic

Julie Ann Campbell portrait
Julie Ann Campbell

Julie Ann Campbell studied computer science in college, yet is also intent on understanding and enjoying the artistry of the English language. Her mix of analytical abilities and artistic interests have enriched her personal life, but has also influenced her work. For many years, she has been an asset to technology organizations, utilizing creative, communicative, and analytical strategies to enhance and ensure successful project deliveries. As Senior Project Manager at Technology Services since 2021, Julie shares about her own interests, milestones, and experiences working as an African-American woman in STEM over the years. 

What do you do in your role at Tech Services?

In my project management role within tech services, I utilize TDX at Illinois (TeamDynamix) to set up projects for execution and management. I collaborate closely with project teams to define goals and objectives, ensuring alignment with both project requirements, organizational strategy, and stakeholder expectations. By delivering on organizational strategy objectives and addressing stakeholder needs, I foster effective communication and collaboration among team members to optimize project outcomes and drive successful project delivery. 

How does your role affect the larger campus?

As a technology services professional, my role in project management directly contributes to achieving organizational goals and driving growth across campus. Through strategic alignment, efficient resource utilization, risk management, stakeholder engagement, fostering innovation, and ensuring quality assurance, I play a vital role in delivering successful technology initiatives that propel our organization forward. 

What are some milestones you’ve experienced in this role?

Reaching the milestones of Senior Project Manager and Certified Scrum Master has been deeply rewarding on both a professional and personal level. A particular focus of mine has been cybersecurity projects, where I’ve navigated complex challenges with a blend of technical expertise and strategic planning. Successfully completing these projects has reinforced my commitment to safeguarding sensitive information in our digital landscape. I’m eager to continue making an impact in both project management and cybersecurity, leveraging these achievements as steppingstones for future growth and contribution. 

What did you study in college, and how has it prepared you for your career?

Studying computer science in college while simultaneously exploring my love for English has been a deeply personal journey. From immersing myself in the structured logic of programming to indulging in the nuanced beauty of language, these disciplines have profoundly shaped my worldview. It’s about finding harmony between the analytical and the artistic, influencing how I approach challenges and communicate ideas. 

As a woman in STEM, what does Women’s History Month mean to you?

Women’s History Month is a time to celebrate and honor the contributions, achievements, and struggles of women throughout history. It’s a time to recognize the often overlooked and undervalued roles that women have played in shaping societies, cultures, politics, sciences, arts. I love that Women’s History Month provides an opportunity to highlight the stories and experiences of women from diverse backgrounds, including those who are often marginalized or underrepresented. It’s also a chance to amplify voices that have been historically silenced and to inspire future generations of women and girls to pursue their dreams and aspirations without limitations. 

What your experience been like as a woman in STEM, and do you have any role models?

Embracing my journey as the only African-American woman in the technology organizations I’ve been a part of has been both challenging and deeply rewarding. I am my own role model for inspiration. From my early days as a systems operator to roles as a computer programmer and project manager, I’ve always been driven by a desire to excel and prove myself in a field where diversity is still lacking. Despite facing extra hurdles, I’ve emerged stronger and more resilient. Celebrating my achievements and embracing my unique perspective, I strive to pave the way for others. I’ll keep pushing through obstacles, not just for myself, but as a beacon of hope for all young women in STEM. 

Who are some women you look up to?

My mother is my role model. She’s taught me spirituality, strength, and the importance of loving both family and myself. Her guidance shapes my every step, reminding me to cherish relationships and nurture my own well-being. I’m endlessly grateful for her influence in shaping who I am today. 

What are some things you like to do outside of work?

Roller skating and bowling have been my go-to hobbies for as long as I can remember. There’s just something about gliding on wheels or aiming for that perfect strike that brings me so much joy. During the summer months, I absolutely live for the excitement of amusement parks and carnivals.