This page is intended to help IT Professionals at the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana with any technology support needs or questions they have. You will find tools and links to key services and technical support pages to help your customers, and yourself, use technology with success. The wonderful IT staff across units and all of campus keep our university’s mission alive and working. Thank you!
The Answers KnowledgeBase
Search for any technical problem or service you need help with and find step-by-step articles with solutions.
Get Help Directly
UIUC Tech Help Center
The UIUC Tech Help Center provides a centralized location to search KnowledgeBase articles, view service information, and submit requests.
Campus Help Desks
Each help desk has different locations, operating hours, and customers they serve.
IT Pro Toolbox
Find more information and connect with someone who can help you from our expert IT teams. For more information about commonly used resources, visit the IT Pro Tools list.
The Help Desk Tools Access Program (HDTAP) is designed to provide IT Pros across campus with tools that allow them to better support their units.
- Visit the Tools Access Program article for information on how to gain access.
HDTAP currently allows IT Pros to request access to one or more of the following tools:
- Active Directory (AD) Tools: mainly used to unlock user accounts
- Cerebro: provides basic directory info, account status, information about cloud services and more
- Box Team Folder Creation Tool: used to create team folders
Our Networking Team installs, manages, and maintains, most of the networking services offered at the university.
Networking Services & Tools:
- Provide Wi-Fi / Wireless Help to a Customer
- Access Iris to Manage Local Networks
- Firewall – Service Plan Options
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) – Download, Install, Support
- Connect a Researcher to the Illinois Research Network (CARNE)
- Request a New Network
- Manage IP Addresses (IPAM), Domain Name System (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
The Endpoint Services Team (EPS) runs services that provide industry standard tools to IT Professionals that reduce operational costs for supporting campus desktop, laptop, and mobile computing devices. These tools provide secure updates, patch management, logging, inventory maintenance, and overall quick remediation abilities for IT Pros.
Current service offerings include the following:
- Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM, formerly SCCM)
- Workspace ONE (formerly known as AirWatch)
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
The Privacy and Security team works across the University of Illinois System to protect students, faculty, researchers, and staff from cybersecurity threats.
If you are experiencing a cybersecurity breach or emergency, please report it immediately.
The Research IT Portal offers a comprehensive list of research technology resources and services available to university researchers from all units. Research computing, data collection and storage, analytics, software development, cloud computing, and much more can be found on the portal. All consulting services are free. The Research IT Training calendar offers trainings and opportunities focused on research technology from across campus. Contact Research IT consultants at Research-IT@illinois.edu.
- Visit the Research IT Portal
- Search for Research IT Trainings
- Subscribe to the Research IT E-Newsletter
- Connect a Researcher to the Illinois Research Network (CARNE) – Managed by Networking group
- The Illinois Research Network is a section of the campus network which is designed to provide unrestricted high-speed access to off-campus locations for specific research purposes, also known as CARNE (Campus Advanced Research Network Environment).
Technology Services offers multiple web hosting services free for all Illinois students, faculty, and staff. Focus on building your content while Technology Services handles maintenance in the background.
- Request a site at publish.illinois.edu and set up a university-branded website in minutes.
- cPanel gives you several ways to create a website through a web interface. You can use established content management systems (CMS) like WordPress, Drupal and others, or create your own custom site using HTML, CSS, jQuery, and other web-related languages
- Visit our web hosting finder for other web hosting options, and find a solution that meets your needs.
Contracted IT Services
Additional IT Help to Your Unit
Managed IT Services (MITS) allows departments to provide high quality IT support to their employees through service agreements personalized per unit needs. Services include: desktop/laptop and server administration, end user technical support, and consulting on other services.
Contact Matthew McNeilly if interested in a service agreement.
Field Consulting provides University departments, administrative units, colleges, and research facilities with expertise in supporting, implementing, administering, configuring, and replacing hardware and networks.
OnSite Consulting sends trained computer service technicians anywhere in the Champaign-Urbana area to university affiliates for a low fee. You can also meet with a consultant and drop off your device.
Join a Campus IT Pro Mailing List
UIUC Mailing lists, conferences, and events for IT Professionals
Visit the link above to learn more about the various mailing lists available to IT Pros at UIUC. Join mailing lists directly, and learn more about the IT Pro conferences offered at the university.
Tech Support Message Archive
The Tech Support emails provide important updates and guidance about changes in services and resources to IT professionals at the university. View the past year of Tech Support messages below.
- Microsoft 365 Changes Went into Effect May 17 (5/22/23)
- Remote Desktop Gateway – Service Update (5/12/23)
- Update Your Unit’s Contact and Support Information for Summer Break (5/11/23)
- Cloud Email Delivery Service Migration Complete (5/11/23)
- Announcing Applications Approved for Integration with Microsoft Teams (5/5/23)
- No Change Period Starts May 4 (5/3/23)
- April 2023 IT Pro Privacy & Cybersecurity Update (4/20/23)
- Removing Skype for Business Using Endpoint Services Tools (4/20/23)
- Cloud Services Lunch and Learn (4/14/23)
- Firewall Change (4/7/23)
- Skype to Teams Transition Timeline Update (4/6/23)
- Town Hall Update on Skype to Teams Transition (3/31/23)
- Wi-Fi Certificate Authentication Server Change (3/28/23)
- Required Zoom Client Update (3/24/23)
- File Retention Implementation Postponed (3/22/23)
- Register Now for U of I Box Training (3/22/23)
- Access Illinois Event (3/21/23)
- Final Campus-wide Microsoft Teams Hardware Showcase March 21 (3/17/23)
- March 2023 IT Pro Privacy & Cybersecurity Update (3/16/23)
- Outlook Vulnerability – Patching Required (3/15/23)
- Cloud Email Service Delivery Town Hall (3/14/23)
- Available AWS Office Hours (3/13/23)
- Illinois Wiki Retirement (3/13/23)
- Deputy CIO, IT Support Position Available (3/13/23)
- Services Upgrades for Adobe UI Enterprise Subscribers (3/9/23)
- New Status at Illinois Widget (3/9/23)
- Caffeine Break: Microsoft 365 FERPA Compliance (3/1/23)
- Announcing U. of I.’s New Chief Information Security Officer (3/1/23)
- Microsoft Teams Hardware Showcase Happening March 8 (3/8/23)
- Adobe License Renewed (2/27/23)
- Adobe License Update (2/27/23)
- UIUC AnyWare Security Advisory (2/21/23)
- Adobe License Notification for University of Illinois Subscribers (2/20/23)
- Announcing Status at Illinois (2/17/23)
- February 2023 IT Pro Privacy & Cybersecurity Update (2/16/23)
- Microsoft 365 Changes Update (2/14/23)
- Getting Started With Teams Phones for IT Pros and Phone Coordinators (2/14/23)
- Attend Teams Day (2/7/2023)
- Microsoft 365 Awareness and FERPA Compliance Updates (2/3/23)
- Campus Cloud Delivery – Town Hall Follow-up (12/19/22)
- Update Your Unit’s Contact and Support Information for Winter Break (12/15/22)
- December 2022 IT Pro Privacy & Cybersecurity Update (12/15/22)
- Reminder: Cloud Emailer Service Town Hall (12/9/22)
- Upcoming Firewall Changes (12/6/22)
- End of Life for Specific U of I Box Features (12/5/22)
- Microsoft Teams Hardware Showcase (11/28/22)
- Zoom Update (11/21/22)
- Microsoft Teams Hardware Showcase (11/21/22)
- Cloud Emailer Service Update (11/18/22)
- November 2022 – Identity, Privacy & Cybersecurity IT Pro Update (11/17/22)
- 2022-2023 Greg Gulick Service Excellence Award Winners (11/4/22)
- Zoom Linux Client Notice (11/3/22)
- Microsoft Teams Hardware Showcases (10/19/22)
- Cloud Emailer Service Update (10/17/22)
- Zoom Changes on October 17 (10/15/22)
- New Wi-Fi Captive Portal (10/12/22)
- Microsoft will Disable all Remaining Basic Authentication Protocols on October 1, 2022 (9/16)
- Power Over Ethernet Available (9/6/22)
- Microsoft 365 Security Changes (9/2/22)
- Log In Issues (Massmail) (8/15/22)
- AWS Office Hours (8/15/22)
Upcoming Change to IllinoisNet_Guest Captive Portal Behavior (8/4/22)
- VetMed Joins TeamDynamix (7/27/22)
- Change to login screen starts Aug. 12 (7/26/22)
- Tech Points – Call for Volunteers (7/18/22)
- Request to Install MS Teams (7/11/22)
- Reminder: Zoom Change July 1 (6/30/2022)
- Announcing Microsoft Team Training (6/13/2022)
- June 18 – Required Zoom Client Update (5/27/2022)