The Microsoft Teams Transition Project is a multi-year, cross-campus effort to transition our university from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams as the primary phone communication tool. The change will go into full effect by May 2023. After May 2023, Skype for Business will not be available.
About the Project
With the retirement of Skype for Business, a new phone communication tool is necessary. Teams offers a number of features that will benefit faculty and staff. Examples include:
- Persistent chat between channels, teams, and individuals
- Improved calling and video conferencing capabilities
- Cloud recording
- Video customizations
- Full integration with the Office 365 suite
- Depending upon your unit’s IT policies and computer administrator privileges, you may be able to download and install Teams. If you need assistance or cannot install the application yourself, please contact your unit IT.
- Technology Services provides the following guidance to support you in installing Teams:
- For more details on getting started, please visit our Knowledgebase article about Microsoft Teams.
October 2021: Caffeine Break presentation November 2021: Initial license upgrades purchase August 2022: Complete license upgrades implementation October 2022: Cloud Infrastructure in place
- February 2023: Hardware Phones replacement deadline
- February 2023: Pre-production pilot kick-off
- April 2023: Response groups no-change data
- April 2023: Early adopter kick-off
- May 17, 2023: Go live kick-off
- Some units may have equipment changes or a shift to no longer using physical phones.
- The deadline for updating phone equipment is February 2023.
- Review the MS Teams Phone Buying Guide
- View the list of phones and devices compatible with Teams
- This list also includes information about which devices are not compatible and may need to be replaced.
- Teams Certified devices will pass E911 data to public safety. This is a campus requirement for life safety.
- Skype phone numbers will remain the same for Teams
- The Unified Communications Phone Inventory App allows campus units to identify the phone devices currently in use which will no longer function after the transition from Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams. Please note this link is only accessible from Campus IPs (VPN included).
Plan to attend one of the Microsoft Teams Hardware Showcases in DCL L410
- Wednesday, Feb. 1. 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- More opportunities for February will be announced soon.
Come visit us to see some of the recommended hardware (listed below) and get your questions answered! You may want to review the Teams VoIP Supported Devices and Equipment KnowledgeBase article prior to the showcase.
- Yealink CP965
- Yealink MP58
- Yealink MP56
- Yealink MP54
- Yealink MP50
- Poly CCX 500
- Yealink UVC20 webcam
- Yealink UH38 USB wired headset
- Yealink WH66 DECT wireless headset with display
- Yealink WH62 DECT wireless headset
- Yealink BH72 bluetooth headset
- Yealink UVC34 all-in-one USB video bar
- Jabra Speak 750 puck
- Jabra Evolve2 40 headset
- Jabra Evolve2 65 headset
- Jabra Evolve2 75 headset
- Jabra Engage55 headset
- Jabra Panacast 20 video camera
- Logitech Zone Wireless Plus headset
- Logitech Zone Wireless earbuds
- Poly Sync 20 puck
- Poly Studio P5 webcam
- Voyager 4320 UC headset
Training Services Opportunities
Beginner’s Guide to Teams
Microsoft Teams is a communications platform available through MS Office 365. During this one-hour live online workshop, we will focus on the Teams experience from a team member’s perspective. Topics will include learning how to navigate the Teams environment; communicating with others in Teams (including chat); setting and managing notifications of Team activity; and sharing files and notes. The target audience for this workshop is beginners and those new to Teams.
- Wednesday, February 15. 10:00 am – 11:00 am. Register
Create Your First Team with Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is a communications and collaboration platform available through MS Office 365. During this new one-hour live ONLINE workshop we will focus on creating a new team. Topics will include choosing a team type, access level, and configuration of the team for channels, files and apps. We will also discuss the team owner roles and privileges. The target audience for this workshop is beginners and those new to Teams.
- Friday, February 17. 10:00 am – 11:00 am. Register
A number of Microsoft-hosted video trainings are available in Media Space.
The Microsoft Teams video archive houses videos from our events, training sessions, and more.
Need more help? Contact our Help Desk!